A career at the Bar is a challenge, but we are here to help


The rules of the Bar training and qualifying as a barrister are continuously changing.  Find out more here.  In the same way the rules of pupillage training are changing. Read more here. Self-employed barristers are generally instructed by solicitors, however direct access is becoming more widely available and members of the public may instruct certain barristers directly. Self-employed barristers join chambers to which they pay rent for their office space and other administrative services. Employed or in-house barrister work for government departments or agencies such as the Crown Prosecution Service, law firms and other large companies.

Routes to becoming a practising barrister

  1. A qualifying law degree + Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) + joining an Inn of Court + 12 compulsory dinning sessions + pupillage; or
  2. A qualifying degree (any) + Graduate Diploma in Law + BPTC + joining an Inn of Court + 12 compulsory dinning sessions + pupillage

You will be Called to the Bar by the Inn of Court you join (generally on commencement of the BPTC). On completion of pupillage, you will need to secure a place in Chambers. For detailed report on how to join a leading set of chambers, click here .

Which Inn of Court?

Inns of court have some differences which are best explored by visiting the Inns of Court and doing some general research. These differences, however, may not make much difference in relation to qualifying as a barrister, unless special circumstances apply. Click Inns of Court Compared for more information.

Cross-qualifying / Qualifying from Overseas

 Cross-qualifying form overseas is possible depending on where you are qualified. The route, price etc. depend on your circumstances.  Click here for more information.

Joining chambers as a Foreign Lawyer

You can also join a set of chambers as a foreign lawyer.