Fatos Selita is the founder of UKLSA. He has read for three unrelated first degrees (Strategy, Engineering and Law); and a number of years (since 2012) of trained and experience in Genetic and Psychology. Fatos – a Barrister of England and Wales, and an Attorney and Counselor at Law of New York State – is currently:
- A Lecturer at the Department of Psychology at Goldsmiths, University of London, where he directs AIR Courses which include – Genetic and Law; – Psychology and Law; – The Psychology of Decision Making; – International Business Law; and – Public Speaking and Presenting
- A Lecturer at Tomsk State University (TSU), Department of Psychology.
- A Visiting Lecturer at a number of Universities (e.g. Higher School of Economics, Oregon State University, New York University.
- Director of Ws – a consultancy which brings together world-leading experts to provide science-based personalised advice and training in wellbeing and continuous self-fulfilment.
- Director of the Institute of Law and Ethics, TSU
- A founding member and Director of Law and Ethics at TAGC, The Accessible Genetics Consortium
- The Executive Publisher of Legal Issues Journal
Research and Expertise
Fatos researches on justice in the Genomic and Digital era (use of genetic data, genetic discrimination, ethics). His work focuses on the intersection of science and law, including utilising science for the benefit of justice. For example, Fatos:
- Delivers expert training to professional audiences including the UK judiciary on technical matters such as:
- Mind influences on decision making
- Human memory and justice
- Provides expert advice on matters of genetics and law, including to the UK government
- Fatos collaborates with research laboratories, including InLab, Goldsmiths University of London and the Laboratory for Cognitive Investigations and Behavioural Genetics, on these issues, and serves on related ethical committees
- Co-ordinates the Working Group on Legal and Ethical Implications of Genetics (LESIG), which operates in the UK and the Russian Federation
- Is a co-developer of the MSc Human Development: Genetics, Neuroscience and Psychology at TSU
Research with humans; Genomic ethics;
Public Speaking and Persuasion
In different contexts such as politics, research dissemination, management, diplomacy
Law and Courtroom Advocacy
International Business Law and Contracts; Genomic Law (data protection, genetic discrimination etc.)
Psychology and Genetics
Psychology for Lawyers; Genetics for Lawyers; Psychology of the Legal Process; Influences on Decision-Making
Fatos’s past experience includes:
- Cross-border commercial finance at Goldberg Kohn, Chicago; and
- Representing an NGO at the United Nations (UNCITRAL) on Arbitration and Security Interests.
Judging in the genomic era: judges’ genetic knowledge, confidence and need for training
Fatos Selita, Marc Willers QC, Professor Yulia KovasLegal Issues Journal 8 (1), 11-50
Fatos SelitaLegal Issues Journal 8 (1), 55-70
To Use or Not to Use: No Consensus on Whether and How to Apply Genetic Information in the Justice SystemFatos Selita, Dr Robert Chapman, Professor Yulia KovasBehavioral Sciences 9 (12), 149
Polarised views on the regulation of genetic data and use of genetic information in criminal justiceDr Robert Chapman, Vanessa Smereczynska, Victoria Nanau, Daria Matsepuro, Fatos Selita, Professor Yulia KovasEUROPEAN JOURNAL OF HUMAN GENETICS 27, 1801-1801
New literacy challenge: genetic knowledge is poor even among well educated.
Professor Yulia Kovas & Fatos Selita, 2019 https://atlasofscience.org/2019/04/
Atlas of Science, Apr 2019.
Genetic Data Misuse: Risk to Fundamental Human Rights in Developed Economies.
- Fatos Selita, 2019
- Legal Issues Journal, 7(1). legalissuesjournal.com/article/1491/
Criminal Legal Protection of Genetic Data of The Person: to Statement of a Problem.
- Karelin, D. V., Matsepuro, D. M., Selita, F., 2018.
- Putnik Journal.
Genes and Gini: what heritability means for inequality.
- Selita, F. & Kovas, Y. 2018.
- Journal of Biosocial Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021932017000645
- Selita, F. 2018.
- Legal Issues Journal, 6(1). http://www.legalissuesjournal.com/article/1139/
- Chapman, R., Likhanov, M., Selita, F., Zakharov, I., Smith-Woolley, E. and Kovas, Y. (2018). New literacy challenge for the twenty-first century: genetic knowledge is poor even among well educated. Journal of Community Genetics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12687-018-0363-7
- Selita, F., Chapman, R., Rimfeld, K. & Kovas, Y. (2017). Science vs. Sensation. Alma Mater, (2) 15, 9. In Russian.
- Chapman, R., Likhanov, M., Selita, F., Zakharov, I., Smith-Woolley, E., & Yulia Kovas. 2017.
- Genetic Literacy and Attitudes Survey (iGLAS): International Population-Wide Assessment Instrument. 2017. EpSBS, Volume XXXIII. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.15405/epsbs.2017.12.6
- Gallop, L., Chapman, R., Selita, F. & Kovas, Y. 2017. Effects of Education and Media Framing on Genetic Knowledge and Attitudes. EpSBS, Volume XXXIII.
- Selita, F. 2016. Cross-border Asset-Based Lending – Doing Business in a Global Economy, ABF Journal.
- Selita, F., Chapman, R., Rimfeld, K. & Kovas, Y. (2015). Save Science from Fiction – Science reporting should be about science not science fiction. The Accessible Genetics Consortium.
- Selita, F. & Kovas, Y. 2014. Applying genetic discoveries to education. International Innovation, 133.
- Kovas, Y., Tikhomirova, T., Selita, F., Tosto, M.G. & Malykh, S.B. 2016. Behavioural Genetics for Education. 1: 16-43, in Malykh, S.B., Kovas, Y. & Gaysina, D.A. Eds. 2016. Behavioural Genomics: Child Development and Education. Publishing House of Tomsk State University, Tomsk. 442 pages. ISBN 978-5-94621-585-5.
- Kovas, Y., Tikhomirova, T., Selita, F., Tosto, M.G. & Malykh, S.B. 2015. How Genetics can be helpful to Education’ in (Eds. Y. Kovas et al.) Behavioural Genetics for Education, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Selita, F. 2011. Where to Read for Your Law Degree. i-StudentGlobal.
- Selita, F. 2009. UK Law Students – A Single Voice. The Weekly Law Reports.
- Selita, F. 2008. Extra Judicial Experience. The Weekly Law Reports.
– Regularly delivers invited, keynote and plenary talks at conferences, including in the UK, Russia, Indonesia and Italy.